Thursday, July 5, 2012

Running On Empty Training

http://runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=19425

Stumbled over this article, which mentions 3 Strategies for Low-Carb Work:


1) Skip the gels. Do your long runs (up to 20 miles) without ingesting carbs. Drink only water, or, if hyponatr emia is an issue due to large volumes of water, a low- or no-carb electrolyte replacement drink.


2) Wait to break your fast. Schedule two workouts per week before breakfast to be in a glycogen-depleted condition.


3) Do a depleted double. Exercise at 70-75 percent of maximum for 30 minutes to one hour without carbohydrate supplementation. Don't refuel primarily with carbs. Later in the day, do a second workout for one to three hours and include high-intensity work such as intervals.
 
I don't think the benefits for this are safe during 100 degree summertime heat...  Thoughts?

4 comments:

Reese said...

I definitely do "bonk" runs. ONLY in training, not racing. Thats just silly. I can consume anywhere from 100-300 calories on mtn 20+mile runs/hike. Being an ultra runner I want to be pretty efficient in my fuel consuming and since most of my running is at a slow speed over a long distance, I find that these bonk runs help. Not sure why--maybe I burn fat more efficiently instead of carbs.

Dart said...

How long into the run do you expect to feel a bonk when you do these 20-milers? Do you get 15 miles in before you feel the depleting effects? Interesting strategy, but I can see its' mental and physical benefits (and dangers).

Reese said...

At first, Id feel the bonk about a few hours or so in. Now I don't feel it nearly that soon. (Depending on my Altitude and type of exercise.hiking/running etc..) For instance, I just climbed Mt Massive (14,000+ ft) and after my breakfast I didnt feel like I needed to eat until I was off the mountain entirely- so about 4 hours. I don't really bonk a whole lot anymore- I feel sluggish, but I never feel like I can't keep going. Its not an exact science..

Dart said...

Thanks!