Monday, April 9, 2012

This is for Kris, and Ben

Kevin Castille crushes M40 American record in 10K at Stanford. Only five days after winning the masters division at the Carlsbad 5000 in 14:57, new M40 Kevin Castille of Kentucky went after the kiddies at the Stanford Invitational on Friday night. He took 19th. But his real goal was a qualifying time for the Eugene Olympic Trials. Mission accomplished. He clocked 28:57.88 — only 36 seconds behind winner Dathan Ritzenhein, the Olympian. The listed American record is 30:04.43 by Paul Aufdemberge in 2005. The listed WR is 28:30.88 by Finnish Olympian Martti Vainio in 1991. At Carlsbad on Sunday, Kevin told an interviewer: “I just turned 40 on March 17 and wanted to start the Masters off right.” Castille said he hoped to qualify for the Trials in the 10,000 meters. Since the B “provisional” standard is 29:00, he’s almost assured of being in the field. The A standard is 28:15. Kevin ran the 10K at the 2004 Trials but didn’t finish.

10 comments:

RM said...

The funniest thing is that JEFF posted this...sneaky Jeff trying to make everyone forget he is old too! Once you are over 30, you are old.

I thought I read the 10k World Record was set over the weekend too by a dude in Italy, now I'm having trouble locating the news for it. It may have been a road record though.

the kris said...

poor ben always gets lumped in with me. also, thanks for reminding me that my age is no excuse.

Ben said...

Aufdemberge is from Michigan - pretty amazing guy. I have another friend in Michigan (from Canada) who just turned 40 and was running low 14's for 5k a few years ago. Pretty sick.

JAR said...

Yes, Ryan, this one was for me too--but, I didn't want to put myself in the title.

RM said...

Shoot man, I am old enough to be included in these things now! Plus since you and Ben don't live here, I have to carry the torch of oldness.

Christy said...

Old is the new young.

pepperjackb said...

speaking of getting older. *cough*me*cough

the kris said...

@rm- carry the torch because i'm to frail?

Dart said...

2-frail should be your masters name

RM said...

Kris, I will bear your cross. It is now my burden as you have passed into the shadow realm.