Monday, September 7, 2009

The Good Things

Like some others I have really struggled the past 6 weeks with a painful injury, that I am starting to realize I might not come back from. I have concluded there must be seven stages to an injured runner, just like with grief. But an event this past weekend helped to lift the clouds and put a smile on my face. It was my neighborhood's annual Kids Try-Athalon. I like to think that I am not one of those parents that brags incensing about their kids. I enjoy this "race" for many reasons othre then watching her compete. My joy at the pure comedy of the spectacle started out pretty early when I saw the bike line-up. Just like last year there were big wheels and mini bikes with training wheels.



The event is pretty simple: 50m swim, 800m bike, and 400m run.

Now I get excited to see my daughter compete, but I am not like the Dad from "Varsity Blue's". I hope to never be like that and hear "I don't want your life." My main goal was to sit back and watch the show and take a few pictures. All in all it was a big success until she missed the turn around in the run and somehow ended up back in the transition zone by her bike. Guess she got Daddy's brains. Someone told her to run so she did that part twice. But in the end everyone got a medal and ice cream. I hope everyone gets a chance to enjoy an event like this one day. Thanks for bearing with my ramblings.

Here are a few of my favorite shots:



2 comments:

Jen said...

By saying you never want to hear "I don't want your life" you mean you want Riley to say "Dad, I can kick your butt" right?

THE KRIS said...

I'M gonna be like that dad. my kid will be a winner. hear me? A WINNER.