Friday, November 30, 2007

Sort of an Advertisement

I just want to comment that I completely agree with what Ryan said. The Club Championships Ohio would be an awesome occasion for any team-like organization, but of course I am biased since that's my high school cross country course. But I have heard good things about the Championships themselves, and if I still lived in Baltimore, I would have gone. I don't blame you guys for not going, because it's just going to be a race, and not a vacation.

San Diego, however, would be a vacation. We have local (i.e. former Baltimoron) representation already in SD, so he could probably show people a good time, and who doesn't want to go to San Diego? But, on to my main point, as Ryan pointed out, I ran in the 2006 USATF XC Championships in NYC, and it was really cool. I will refute the fact that they plowed snow from the course, at least in the last day or two before the championships, but the race was only a couple of weeks after the greatest snowstorm in NYC history, with something like 25 inches in Central Park. It was apparent that they had, in fact, moved snow around Van Cortlandt at some point because there were piles here and there, but 95% of the ground was snow free. It was muddy the first day of the championships, but the ground froze overnight, and for my race we were basically running on lumpy pavement. If it wasn't for the fact that the only people I knew who were there were guys I ran against in high school and college (they're the ones who kicked my ass, except for Fasil Bisuneh; I kicked his ass for once) the event would have been just like back in the day.

They had an authentic British announcer (!) and tents set up for the athletes. There was a hundred-meter-long starting line, the dash for the first turn, and an entire two days' worth of spectating and cheering on the best runners our country has. Hall, Goucher, Ritzenhein, Torres (2), Hartmann, Lincoln, and whoever else you could think of were there on the men's side. Women had some big dogs too. Deena was conspicuously absent, but pretty much the best of the best were there. That could be a plus or a minus, depending on who you are. If you don't like having to many fast people around, just remember that 2008 is an Olympic year, and so none of the hopefuls are focussing on this race. This is a once-every-four-years chance to get a high place for the team and/or individually. I'd do it. If I was in the country. I find myself saying that a lot. but this time I seriously mean it. I would go to San Diego not only for the race, but to visit and enjoy some mild weather. I'm a little jealous.

That's what I think, and if you want to know more about my experience at the USATF XC Championships, just ask. You guys have fun!

San Diego will

No comments: