Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Communication From Austria

So Brian has been rounding himself back into shape, and I thought it would be nice to do a little piece on him, since he has a little piece. Ha, just playing bro. Just because he's out of sight does not mean that's he's out of mind, and I'm actually going to get to hang out with him in Amsterdam in October, which I'm totally psyched for.

Anyway, please check out the following conversation that I had with Brian over the weekend, via text messages:

9:58:58 PM: Damn. I'm wandering around Vienna trying to find the train station. I'm going in the right direction, but I already got lost once. You going out tonight?

After saying yes, I reminded him that 10 PM on the East Coast is actually 4 in the MORNING in Austria.

10:07:00 PM: Yeah. i'm going home. Have fun at the beach at 10 at night. Tell those dudes I know "what's up". I went out for the first time in a while. It was ok. Peace."

10:15:29 PM: Shit. I was looking for the train station and when I just realized I passed it on foot (?) a bus came with the name of my neighborhood on the front. Lucky, but it's 30 minutes to get home. Yee hah.

This sample of messages was impressive on two fronts: The first being that Brian was still awake at 4 am. That's crazy. Even though I did technically call Andy at 3 am later that evening to wish him a happy birthday at his new midnight. Ahh these time zones, I love the random times of day I send/receive messages now. The second reason these messages are impressive is because I remember watching Brian text for the first time at Maynard's karaoke one Wednesday back in the day. If it wasn't the first, it was among the first. It took him close to 20 minutes to compose this message. Now he's flying. It's a great turnaround.

So now we can look forward to sending Brian texts when it is 2 or 3 in the morning here (8 or 9 there) at the Birthday Party 9/29-9/30.

In reality though Brian is getting back into nasty shape, he won a race the other day, and it's nice to see him competing again at the level he's accustomed to. We would like to hear how things are going in Austria (just in general) if you ever get the time to blog it!

No comments: