Monday, July 6, 2009

This is the REMIX

Welcome to the online edition of the Monday morning email.

Most of you have heard about the various races that went on this weekend, and can obviously read the results on the right sidebar, but here is some more detail.

Arbutus 10k - Dave Berdan won the event for the 3rd straight year in a time of 31:50. A remarkable improvement from RFOK just last month, and apparently the course is a little long. Dave is feeling fit heading into a 5 mile race this weekend in Lititz, PA. A few years ago he ran 33:00 at Arbutus and went on to run 24:46 at the 5 miler, so yeah, he's pretty ready. Dave Berardi was 5th overall and first old guy in 36:16. 40 second improvement from last year. And we of course know how Denise did since she showed up to HUBS OF FURY.

The big news coming out of the print version of the Washington Running Report is that our favorite old guy, Kris Simms, made the rankings for the 35-39 age group. As far as we know this is his debut on the scene, coming it at #17 (final ranked position). Great job Kris, we're really proud. Of course Kipchirchir, Kyle and Dave Berdan are all also ranked in the open division.

Hubs of Fury: 4th of Fury took place on Saturday. Those who attended were treated to a moving speech by yours truly. The event kicked off at 8pm where a group of 20 met at the gates of Fort McHenry. There were a bunch of Hubs virgins, including Joel Brusewitz and his girlfriend Alix, Brian Desmond, Emily Gould, JIM ADAMS, Denise Knickman, Colin Brooks and I think it may have been Barf's first as well. Brennan - it wasn't your first, was it? We got things started in Locust Point and then watched the fireworks from Arjun's roof. Our trip through the Harbor was full of excitement and nervousness, as there were a few crashes and a mechanical. Then we found out that Mustang Alley and Bar were both closed. A quick change brought us to Wharf Rat, and then Bad Decisions. From there it was the climbing stage to Blue Hill, which was dead but it was cool seeing that dude do a backflip. Final bar was Pickled Parrot with a sick dance party and mojitos. Then we hit the Square for pretzel dogs and Kris ate 5 of them.

So this week's Purple Drink Athlete of the Week was definitely up for grabs, as Julia set a CR, Chrissie ran a hell of a race, Justin had an awesome track meet...but ultimately Denise Knickman achieved one of her goals from her index card - to attend a Hubs of Fury. That, and her 3rd place at Arbutus led to her first PDAW of the year.

7 comments:

RM said...

I also should mention that Chrissie, Julia and Denise are ranked in the open women division and Berardi and Timpson are in the men's old guy categories!

Bojanges said...

I am not a Hubs virgin! This was my second time!

Although my first time I was really nervous and got a flat tire only 30 seconds in, so I guess it didn't really count.

THE KRIS said...

slowest ranked old guy AND 5 pretzel dogs... what the hell do i have to do to get a frickin purple drink?

also, #12 spring 2008.

just sayin.

Big Pappa said...

Couple thoughts:

I feel for you Kris, I hope I am still that fast when I get really old like you.

I also think Ben should have been the KC Clutch Performer cause:

1. He ran an event with "African-American" in the title so you know there was some BBQ around.

2. He ran a sick time. I don't care if it was short because I am sure CPT came into play at some point.

3. He beat a certain some one by over 3 minutes.

4. He is the original Dr Ken Witlock.

Feel me Devo?

Ben said...

give the man a PDAW. he doesn't have many good years left. in a couple years when we're standing around - toasting a man who is no longer among us - won't we wish that we had shown him more respect when it mattered?

As a great man once said - Every generation, blames the one before
And all of their frustrations, come beating on your door
I know that I'm a prisoner. To all my father held so dear
I know that I'm a hostage to all his hopes and fears
I just wish I could have told him in the living years

RM said...

1) Justin, I forgot to hand out the KC Masterpiece Award, although it certainly would have been close between Ben and Kris, as both made it out ALL night on Saturday, but Kris did eat 5 pretzel dogs. In fact, at 1:40am he was very concerned that we weren't going to make it to pretzel dogs in time. He kept asking if we'd make it and was about to head out on his own to ensure he got some.

2) CGB, I forgot you were there at Hubs 2, sorry!

3) Kris, also sorry I didn't keep tabs of the other time(s) you have been ranked. I'll remember from now on.

RM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.