Wednesday, May 6, 2009

4 Minutes

55 years ago today, Sir Roger Bannister became the first person to record a sub 4 minute mile. And they said it couldn't be done.

People thought it was physically impossible and that anyone who tried would surely die.

Here's to you, Roger, for having wonky teeth, being a full-time med student and not whining about training and most of all, for getting after it. You paved the way for yet another sport to see white people become subpar at.

Actually, today is also my dad's birthday (5/6/54) so he always sends me the same text message, which was pretty much the first two lines of this post. Like I would forget this monumental day.

5 comments:

Terence aka LT said...

NOOOO!!!! I'm reading "The 4minute Mile" and I didn't know who broke the barrier 1st: Wes Santee, Roger Bannister, or John Landee. O well, congrats Roger and Happy Bday Big Papa McGrath.

T

RM said...

Are you serious Terence??

Terence aka LT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Terence aka LT said...

Sorry Its "The Perfect Mile" GREAT BOOK!

a said...

I have that book too. Enjoyed it.